It’s a cliche, I know, because we take a “trip of a lifetime” almost every year. This, however, is truly going to be a trip of a lifetime…
Click the image to see the full route…
This is The Great Escapade. So named as that’s the Round The World ticket I’m using, a ‘code share’ arrangement with Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand. As if a RTW trip wasn’t special enough, in true Once-In-A-Lifetime extravagance, I’m doing it First Class.
The outline itinerary is as follows…
- Wednesday 1st May, I fly on a Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 from Heathrow to Singapore, arriving the next morning.
- Saturday 4th May, I leave Singapore for Perth, Western Australia, arriving in the afternoon.
- The next day, around lunchtime, I board the Indian Pacific train for a marathon four day (three nights) journey overland to Sydney, arriving Wednesday morning.
- I then spend a month in Australia, enjoying the company of Carl for as much of the time as his schedule permits.
- The remaining dates are booked, but the ticket is flexible and allows changes at minimal cost, and so may be subject to alteration.
- Monday 3rd June I fly on the Air New Zealand ‘hop’ to Auckland, where I will spend a week.
- The following Monday I take NZ002, one of their newly refurbished Boeing 777s to LAX.
- The USA is then my proverbial oyster. I intend to follow my nose, using plans, trains and automobiles as the fancy takes me. Places I particularly want to include on my tour are Portland OR, Seatle WA, Denver CO, Auston TX, Memphis TN, Chicago IL, and then on to the east coast. The only fixed element in all this is that my homeward flight is booked from Boston MA, nominally on 8th July… after the Independence Day celebrations.
Of course I will be blogging extensively and you’ll read all about it, if you care to, here on Are We There Yet.